If you had braces as a teen or adult, you might be surprised to see your teeth shifting slowly over the years. Orthodontic regression isn’t uncommon, but you don’t have to live with the changes. Don’t worry about needing brackets and wires again because Invisalign after braces is possible. You can enjoy a discreet solution to restore a straight smile.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Traditional braces rely on brackets and wires to pull teeth into position slowly over 18 to 24 months. Invisalign differs because no wires or brackets are necessary.
Instead, your dentist creates a series of clear plastic aligners that are worn over your teeth for 22 hours per day. Each aligner applies continual pressure to gradually correct bite and alignment concerns. You will switch to the next aligner in the series every 1-2 weeks. On average, it takes 12 months to complete Invisalign, but every situation differs based on the complexity of the tooth movements necessary.
Whether you missed your chance for braces as a child or your teeth have moved over time, Invisalign is a great alternative to metal braces.
Benefits of Invisalign After Braces
Invisalign is the preferred orthodontic treatment among teens and adults. When compared to traditional braces, clear aligners offer amazing benefits, including:
- Less Noticeable: Although you can see Invisalign when it’s in your hand, they are very difficult to detect while wearing them. You can smile confidently with no worry about wires and brackets.
- Comfortable Fit: Each aligner will fit your teeth like a glove, so they won’t slip or fall out. The aligners are smooth, so there’s no irritation to the inside of your lips or cheeks.
- No Dietary Restrictions: Invisalign is removable, so there aren’t any dietary restrictions. However, you’ll need to take them out before having anything except water.
- Quick and Convenient: Treatment with Invisalign can be shorter than metal braces. You’ll also spend less time in the dentist’s chair because you won’t need adjustments.
- Easy Maintenance and Care: There aren’t any wires or brackets to clean around, so your brushing and flossing routine will be unchanged. You will need to clean your aligners using a soft-bristled toothbrush and clear hand soap or dishwashing liquid.
- Affordable: Dental plans that include orthodontics may offset the cost of Invisalign. Your dentist will also accept various payment methods to keep clear aligners affordable, like monthly payments through CareCredit.
It’s never too late to invest in a straight, healthy smile. Invisalign can be the perfect solution to turn back the clock on your smile. Contact your dentist today to see if Invisalign is right for you.
About Dr. Michael Michel
Dr. Michel achieved his dental degree from the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry and has regularly undergone continuing education to provide state-of-the-art services in Silver Lake & Topeka. He is a proud member of various professional organizations, including the American Dental Association and the Kansas Dental Association. If you’re interested in Invisalign, contact our office today to request a consultation.